Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 9/10 - Just Another Manic Monday

As I headed out the door to run, my family impatiently waiting, I realized it would be tough to do this without them. Since they run with me, I don't have to feel guilty about not spending time with my son or discussing the days affairs with my husband, or not getting supper on the table at 6pm or any other silly notion. I can just run.

Before we left, my son was complaining of a sore heel."I'll just have to limp," he said. Funny. He wasn't limping while toy-shopping at Target today! Half a block into the warm-up, he tripped and "hurt his ankle" (other leg.) Drama ensued, but we ignored him. Then again, on a steep slope, where I was warning him not to do "tricks", run sideways an otherwise goof around, he tripped/twisted/whoknowswhat! Again, pleas for a swift return home -- NO WAY! --- we were only 3 segments into the program.

So, there you have it. The struggle of the running mom.

Train with the kid - don't train with the kid. That is the question! 

Running with my husband and son requires finding a very different mental place than running by myself at the Y - - where I found a zen moment and pounded through. But at least running with family means, I'm not checking my watch. I'm just running... Not that I like running, mind you. I am still a non-runner in running shoes. As I down-dogged and warriored my way through my codYoga (crack-of-dawn-yoga) at 5:30am, I appreciated it all the more, because at least I wasn't running.

if I can do it -- anyone can.


Workout 4: Stretch cut short by improvisational stretching, lots of moaning and huffing and a general disinterest in the whole process; 5 minute warm-up interrupted by a faux ankle sprain; 8 60-sec. runs /90-sec. walk segments sporadically sprinkled with complaints, maladies and a few please to go home; 5 min cool down

No comments:

Post a Comment